"In fact, woman has a genius all her own,
which is vitally essential to both society and the Church." --John Paul II

Friday, March 12, 2010

Sleep -- So Nice to Sleep!


Have you ever been So tired that you just must sleep -- but, you can't?

Sometimes I will go for days without sleeping well, or at all. I have tried herbal remedies and concoctions. While they work for some people, one actually caused me kidney stones. Thank you, I'd rather not sleep than go through that again!

I've also tried the prescription medications that are touted as being able to give you a pleasant night's sleep. Have you ever listened to the side effects? Dry mouth, headaches, nausea, feelings of grogginess, suicidal thoughts. Thank you, I rather not sleep than go through that again!

I am of the mind that sometimes it just takes an event to change the sleep pattern -- even if that pattern is caused by hormones. I just had a vicious stomach virus in my family. There was, of course, very little sleep happening, especially when it hit me.

Since the virus has resolved, I have experienced a better sleep than I have had in years. Now, I am not suggesting that we with insomnia all go out and get stomach viruses. But, I do think that there is a connection between the behavior, the change in brain chemistry and the resetting of my sleep clock!

This is just an opinion piece with nothing to back it up beyond my personal experience. I am going to try and look at some of the science later -- now that I've had some sleep. (smile!)

Right now, I plan to start my day in a pleasant mood, reflect on Scripture with my Bible Ladies, and enjoy the rest of the day with my kids who are off from school today. Thank you, Lord --it's nice to feel rested.

Has anyone else with insomnia experienced this same change of sleep pattern as a result of an increase of activity or illness? I'd be really curious to know.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear that you got a good forty winks! May it be the first of a long streak....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails