"In fact, woman has a genius all her own,
which is vitally essential to both society and the Church." --John Paul II

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Not even Irish?


I realize this is a day late, but it still needs telling.
When I was in the work force BC (before children), I had the pleasure of working with many lovely and well meaning people. I remember one young fellow in particular of the Protestant variety. It was St. Patrick's Day, and a Monday to boot, and he was wearing ORANGE. (I must confess, that I, too, used to wear it, but I am all GREEN now.)


I couldn't let that go, so I approached him and recounted how I used to wear orange on St. Patrick's Day and now I'm Catholic and understand what a great gift this holy man was to the Church and the world and I'm proud to wear my green.

He responded with, "Oh, you deluded Catholics. You just believe everything the Pope tells you. Why are the Irish so excited about St. Patrick? He wasn't even Irish!" And he walked off. A little later, I pointed out that most missionaries aren't from the country they serve, and this was true of the good Bishop for sure.

I have no idea if that made any difference to him. But it was a painful reminder of my own ignorance of the faith before my conversion to Catholicism. Once I understood the true teachings of the Church, there was no denying the One True Faith.

So I wear my green with pride on St. Patrick's Day. And my littlest child wore a Bishop's Mitre to the public school St. Patrick's Day parade, not a silly leprechaun hat. Seemingly small witnesses of the Faith can have real power to those who might otherwise never hear the Truth.

2 comments:

  1. Someone I know mentioned on FB that they were wearing orange for St. Patrick's Day (he's a protestant.) What does it mean? Forgive my ignorance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alexandra,

    Orange is associated with the Protestants of Ireland as a tribute to William of Orange and his victory over James II in the Battle of the Boyne.

    (William, a Dutch prince, was invited by Parliament to overthrow the Catholic James II (who happened to be his uncle and his father-in-law) in the so-called "Glorious Revolution." He ruled as William III with his wife Mary.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails