"In fact, woman has a genius all her own,
which is vitally essential to both society and the Church." --John Paul II

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Every 28 Days Or So...

it is necessary for faithful women friends to gather. There's a camaraderie in that fellowship that makes fully living and practicing the Catholic Faith seem not so "outside reality" -- at least that's how the culture views it. But, it is real, more real that what we experience in the world. It is the filter through which we assess everything around us. And, every 28 days or so, we cycle through a new set of stories to include joys, trials, new adventures and down right aggravations -- from politics to hairstyles -- the aggravations make us laugh the most.

Laughing -- that is key. I know many notable saints frowned on the excesses of joviality -- I wonder if monastic life might have seemed more pleasant with a smile on one's face. We all have different paths to perfection, thank God -- mine must include laughing, because if I didn't laugh, I'd be headed in a more southerly route.

Humor does abound at our coffees; we take ourselves just a little less seriously. We do, however, always manage to have serious discussions through the laughter. It's unbelievable, but true. I always seem to come away with several nuggets of wisdom and information that I need or that may have otherwise escaped me. I am particularly grateful for this!

And as for shared empathy -- my world always seems just a little more manageable when I know that I am not alone in the antics of my hectic life. This might fall under "misery loves company" but, I would prefer to look at it this way: we're here to support one another and muddle through it all as joyfully as possible. And, this is why I so look forward to my coffee once a month with the Feminine Geniuses.

I am reminded of Psalm 126:
A song of ascents. When the LORD restored the fortunes of Zion, then we thought we were dreaming.

Our mouths were filled with laughter; our tongues sang for joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD had done great things for them."

The LORD has done great things for us; Oh, how happy we were!

Restore again our fortunes, LORD, like the dry stream beds of the Negeb.

Those who sow in tears will reap with cries of joy.

Those who go forth weeping, carrying sacks of seed,

Will return with cries of joy, carrying their bundled sheaves.
I know that, at least once a month, I need to be reminded of the great things the Lord has done for me and that the heavy lifting that we all do as wives and mothers will be shared in our stories of joys and sorrows.

I know that, at least once a month, we will be restored. Once again, "our mouths will be filled with laughter" and we "will return with cries of joy" because the Lord has done great things for us. We just need to come together and lift each other up in that fact.

I love my coffee with the Feminine Geniuses. I can't wait for next month -- or sooner if we can manage!

Thank you, ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails